Projects, stories, memories and myths of knitting and crafts

Wednesday 31 March 2010

Weaving and the thoughts it produced.

I have managed to produce two pieces of beginner's weaving that I find acceptable. The finishing off needs work but I am quite proud of myself.

I have reserved some books from the library and can't wait for them to arrive.  There are not many books available to buy which surprised me. The one that I really want is a book of patterns will only be published in August. Perhaps now I will take the time to read the book I have a bit more thoroughly!

This is a photo of the first piece which is a table runner that measures 40cm x 80cm without the fringe. The second piece is a secret gift and I will post pictures of it after it has been received.


The table runner pulled in on the multicoloured rows as this was 4 ply rather than double knit yarn of the rest of the piece and this is one of the learning curves of the piece.


It was  my first attempt at a little pattern too which I really enjoyed.


While I was doing this, kelmscott cardigan was looking at me accusingly. She has one sleeve and a side sown and the other sleeve started. I plan to work on her tomorrow for a bit before I go off to the knitting group but this too could change. I can't wait to finish her.

While I was peaceably enjoying playing with weaving, some serious thoughts did come to visit. I thought about how I pressure myself to finish garments as I often have the next project planned or queued somewhere. It made me think of instant gratification and wanting everything at once rather than slowly enjoying what I have and am busy doing. Being like this, causes me to loose some of the pleasure and enjoyment that working with each piece brings to me as I am no longer present with it but rather dreaming of the next one.

What also visited me was how when I make something for someone else, I think about them wearing or using it. I think about the pleasure that it has given me to make it and the love and happiness that is infused into each stitch created by my energy and commitment.

I do love to make things for others because of this. I love to see their faces and their astonishment that someone would take the time to do this for them. Blessedly, years of selling what I make has made me unattached to whether they actually wear it or not!

Even with all the fun of weaving, the best part of this week for me, was Monday afternoon spent quietly sitting knitting the Aeolian shawl. It is still such a joy.

1 comment:

  1. You will have to give me some lessons, now that you become an expert! very nice indeed..
    I am also a bit like you in a way of always wanting to finish what I'm doing and rushing to the next thing. I'll put a conscience effort to actually enjoy more what I'm doing at present.xx

    ReplyDelete