Projects, stories, memories and myths of knitting and crafts

Wednesday 28 April 2010

CLearing House and still knitting!

I am finding it challenging to get any writing done as life has become a little busy. We are moving house soon so I have started the BIG clear out. I have never done it in this way before, where a little has been done in each room. I usually stick with one room until it is done.

This way is proving to be a lot of fun as we are tripping over the stuff lying all over the house! I have done two draws in the kitchen, most of my bedroom, part of the front room and and part of the sitting room. I can, however, report that Borneo and I have conquered the shed and the garden. The cellar awaits....

I am managing to get some knitting done. Sadly, the weaving and I parted company, mainly through my lack of understanding, as the warping of the alpaca-silk shown in the last post was not a success and the fabric started to move on the warp so I know my tension is wrong and I cut it off the loom. I fear I am too ambitious too soon!

The yarn is too beautiful to waste on something that does not work so the warping thread needs to be investigated more thoroughly when I can. I have good news on this front.

I am booked on a weaving weekend next month. I have so many questions! I spoke to the lovely lady today and she sounds delightful, passionate about her craft and I find that very exciting. I cannot wait to attend but there is still a lot of house clearing to get through before the day will arrive. I will plod through it with the thought of the wondrous reward to come!

I am managing to knit my 2 rows per day, set target, on a silk-merino jacket that I started in France last year. I have started the sleeves together so that they are the same. It is the easy knitting that I cart around with me. I have not shown it before. At this rate it will be couple more months before it is finished.


The yarn is 4ply Scrumptious from Fyberspates which was dyed to my colour needs. I love it.  It is fabulous to knit. It reminds me of the sea and I wanted a textured pattern to mirror this. It feels so good. I love Fyberspates yarns. The pattern is a Marion Foale design which appeared in Woman's Weekly.

The baby jumper is all but complete and awaits sewing up and finishing. I have a cute little teddy button for the top. Maybe it will spring into completion in the next week.... maybe not. It is four months until the baby is due.


Lastly, Ishbel, the lovely Ishbel, has grown in leaps and bounds. I snuck away from all the chores in the world today and sat down at the river, knitting her and enjoying the bird song. I have about 10 rows left to complete now. The sparkly bits caught the sunlight as I worked. It was a delight.


I gained a few curious hellos from some and broad grins from others who walked by my bench near the river. It was gorgeous out. This is the view I enjoyed with the ducks for a few hours.


There were beautiful bluebells too.

No comments:

Post a Comment