Projects, stories, memories and myths of knitting and crafts

Tuesday 28 December 2010

Mediterranean Maia


Maia is one of the seven small shawls from Rosemary Hill. The shawl names are derived from the constellation know as the The Seven Sisters or The Pleiades. In mythology they were the virgin daughters of Atlas and Pleione. They were hunted down by Orion and to escape they turned into doves and flew into the heavens where they became stars and Zeus claimed them all. 

Maia means grandmother, mother or nurse. She was seduced by Zeus and gave birth to Hermes, the messenger of the gods.


I really love the texture and the lace together. It works beautifully.


I have called my shawl Mediterranean Maia because the colour way of the yarn reminds me of this sea in all its moods.

This pattern was an absolute joy to knit. For me, it had an intuitive rhythm. I could pick it up and and put it down randomly with great ease. The design elements are interesting and fun to construct.  I will be watching so see how the other shawls in the series develop.




No comments:

Post a Comment