Projects, stories, memories and myths of knitting and crafts

Friday 7 January 2011

Merino Mittens

After I had worn my festive mitts, I was in love. I decided to make another pair with slightly longer finger sections as it is cold when I use my camera and it is great to have my fingers free.



After listing to the Knitting Pipeline Podcast, I realised that I had already started the little cabled twist stitch rib that Paula said she was using for her mitts. It is a stitch that I often use as it gives beautiful detail and is easy to do.

You knit into the second stitch of K2 in K2, P1 rib and then into the first before pulling both stitches off the needle at the same time.


So the Festive Mitt pattern was altered in the following way:

4 row cable rib pattern


Knit 1 row
Twist stitches next row
Knit 2 rows


Pattern Alterations


30 rows cable rib
6 rows knit before the thumb gusset.
The body of the mitt is exactly the same.
After removing the thumb stitches knit 6 rows.
10 rows cable rib
Cast off loosely.

Join yarn for thumb as per pattern
Knit 6 rows
Cable rib 6 rows.
Cast off loosely.

Happy knitting and do message me on Ravelry if you make them! I would love to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment